Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fall (2012) D.W.A.


Here is my D.W.A. Please feel free to comment! Also, if you're wondering whether this story was true or not, here's my answer: The following D.W.A. is 99.99999% true. Enjoy!




Something absolutely amazing happened today. No, really. It’s so amazing it’ll make your mind spin. Are you ready? Here it is: I survived the first day of middle school. I’m not kidding. I actually made it to the end of the day in one piece! Well, mostly. Anyway, here’s the official story on how I lived from morning to now with minimal bumps and bruises.


La di da... I was walking down to the bus stop, trying to keep my nervousness down by humming a tune. It wasn’t working. I woke up early, and therefore was in an unable-to-concentrate mood. I checked that my shoes were tied, then, hearing a car (or any vehicle), looked up. Down the street, there was a long yellow vehicle that seemed to be picking up somebody...wait a minute...THE BUS WAS ALREADY THERE?! I was, like, 50 miles away! I tried running, but I was weighed down by my backpack, which was full of the supplies I forgot to bring to school during open house, and ended up jogging very, very slow. After the student got on, the bus started turning. Toward me. Whew. I was so relieved that I almost actually wiped my brow. I slowed to my usual walk, and got on the bus. I glanced around. This year, there was only 5-10 kids on the bus. Unusual. Last year, the bus was almost always packed full of kids. I guess middle school was different. After getting on, I realized that my friend was not on. She had told me I was to meet her at the bus stop, so I assumed she was the person who got on earlier. I panicked when I saw the bus driver miss my friend, but relaxed when I saw her getting on another school bus later

Arriving at the school, I watched the 8th graders heading upstairs to their lockers. I started for the doors blocking me from the way to my locker, preparing to open it. Before I got to them, though, one of my friends stopped me and told me they were letting us to our locker later, and we were supposed to stay right where we were. What? How unfair was that? I mean, my supplies were still in plastic bags stuffed in my locker, I had no idea what class I was supposed to go to and what I was supposed to bring to those classes, and they’re telling me I can’t go to my locker?! I think I’m going to have a headache...
After a while, we were allowed to go to our lockers, where I tried to figure out what day it was (1 or 2?) and what I was supposed to bring (spanish stuff or gym stuff?). I asked around, but the other 7th graders seemed as confused as I was. I plucked up the courage to ask a teacher (I am rather shy) standing in the hallway, and got satisfactory results. I dug up my gym supplies (gym clothes, lock), the 2 tissue boxes that we apparently were supposed to bring to first period, and strolled toward the gym.
Gym came and gone without a hitch. Everyone received their laptops and picked their gym locker. The bell rang, and I rushed to my next class, math. Every class was about the same thing: Laptop stuff (responsibilities, access at home, etc.), activity related to the class, a bit of free time. Of course, things weren’t perfect. For example, my new laptop froze for exactly 32 minutes in math, I got lost in the high school looking for the new band room (I did eventually find it), there was 0, zip, no sitting places left at lunch (more tables got carried in), I was late to FACE (Family and Consumer Education), and I freaked out (silently) in Academy 21. That mainly had to do with an uncooperating Google, and me finding out that I already had 2 big homework assignments on the first day of school. I realized later that I could actually manage it, except then I had to deal with an uncooperating Google Blogger at home, with no one to help me. Sigh.
Even though it wasn’t perfect, I did survive without having to go to a hospital. And I’m already almost done with one of my homework assignments. And it’s not like I didn’t learn anything (that’s what school is for, no?). I learned that I probably don’t need a giant backpack (everything’s done on computer these days). I learned that I should memorize my schedule. I learned that I could help my friends in Chinese. And most of all, I learned that you don’t have to worry about middle school, or first days. So that’s it. Remember, don’t forget your locker combo, and you MUST NOT forget to bring chocolate.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this piece!! I thought that you were creative and I loved your voice. I hope that your score for this piece is high because you definitely earned it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mckena. Your voice was phenomenal! I would avoid writing the end because believe me teachers are not to fond of that. Otherwise great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with McKena and Callie; your voice is amazing! You don't seem very shy, but again writing is different than speaking. Along with what Callie said, you shouldn't write "The End" or "Thank you for reading". It's kind of unnecessary and teachers don't really like it either. Besides the criticism, your piece was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Fish (Try to Find the Ninja Fish)